Packing List for Trip to Benin
Plan to bring enough clothes to wear for the number of days you will be on the trip. Wash out items minimally by hand: depending on the trip, your sleeping arrangements might change daily, might not have great bathing situations, might not have much water, and once the clothing is wet it will take a couple of days to dry due to humidity. Plan on coming home with laundry that will be musty & sweaty! Remember everyone else will be in the same situation and you won’t be in a 5-star hotel, but all your needs will be met!
- 3-4 pairs of pants (guys) or skirts (gals)
- Shirt/blouse per day of trip (plus 3 extras if not washing out anything)
- Underwear needed per day of trip
- Socks, even if wearing sandals (protects feet and keeps them cleaner)
- 2 pairs of shoes: comfortable, toe protecting, durable in rain plus shower flipflops (any shoes worn on the Farm must be disinfected by airport personnel upon return to US!)
- Light Sleepwear X 2
- 1 after-hours “lounge-y” outfit (not necessary)
- Rain jacket/windbreaker/umbrella (only if you will use it/have it at the right time?)
- Absolutely minimal jewelry (just emphasizes that we are “wealthy westerners”)
- BIBLE & journal/passport/ticket/printout of trip insurance policy/reading material or project for plane ride
- Sunscreen/bug spray/hat/daypack/fanny pack
- Thank you card stationery/notes for your presentations/pens/pencils
- Whatever you are responsible for, for the team: first aide kit/computer/video camera/etc.
- Cell phone—last calls leaving US and first calls when returning! (Don’t plan on it working in Benin!)
- Flat sheet (mostly for under you, but sometimes over)/pillow w case (airplane neck pillow works great!)
- Campers toilet paper/flashlight/watch or clock
- Absolutely minimal—due to weight and space in baggage
- Bar soap/washcloth/towel (camping, chammy-type works great!)
- Glasses/contacts needs
- Prescription meds/vitamins (count out what you need—don’t take the whole bottle!)
- Malaria meds!!!
- Shaver/batteries vs charger/power converters?
- Makeup is not needed! Please minimize!